Gladstone Railroad Shops
Today, Gladstone Savanna at the southwest corner of Frost Avenue and English Street is a quiet Neighborhood Preserve. But from 1887 to 1915 it was the primary maintenance shop for the St. Paul and Duluth Railroad (SP&D) and employed over 100 men.
In June 1900, the Northern Pacific (NP) Railroad became
During the next 64
The site sat vacant until 1994 when Maplewood bought the land to be preserved as open space. In 2012, the City hired an archaeologist to survey and document the site before it was covered with soil to remediate contamination from the industrial use of the site. During this time, several of the large limestone foundations for the roundhouse and machine shed were briefly exposed and it was realized that many below ground features remained intact. The site has since been replanted with native grasses and trails have been constructed. Entries and a sitting area near the former roundhouse have been landscaped with design elements that reflect the site’s railroad history.
Take a walk
Photo: The Gladstone Shops in the 1950’s
Photo credit: Courtesy of