The City of Maplewood requires a demolition permit for the demolition or removal of a primary structure or a garage.
If the structure is served by either a septic system or is connected to the municipal sanitary sewer system, a utility disconnect permit and site grading permit are required before the city will issue a demolition permit. In addition, the municipal water utility must give approval before the city will issue a demolition permit.
A licensed sewer and water contractor must obtain a sanitary sewer service capping or repair permit and a licensed grading contractor must obtain a grading permit. The Maplewood Engineering Division, at the Public Works building - 1902 County Road B East, issues these permits. The Engineering Division can be reached at 651-249-2400.
The city requires compliance with the city right of way ordinance.
Please note: The Maplewood demo permit is separate to the required 10-day notification to MPCA and Ramsey County.
Application Process for Demolition Permits
Contractors must be licensed.
- Contractor applies for the demolition permit with the Environmental and Economic Development Department and provides proof of property ownership and photo of structure to be demolished.
- The contractor must complete and receive approval of the following three areas before a demolition permit will be issued by the Building Inspections Department:
- Contractor obtains sanitary sewer service connection/repair permit at Public Works building and has disconnect inspected.
- Contractor obtains grading permit at Public Works building.
- Contractor contacts appropriate water department regarding approval of water disconnect, removal of meter and final billing:
- The city will contact the contractor when the demolition permit is ready.
- The Building Inspections Department issues the demolition permit to the contractor.
- Demolition work can begin.