This division is also involved in the maintenance of sidewalks, trails, catch basins, ponds and stormwater sewer mains throughout the city.
Maplewood has 135.05 miles of city streets, 31.79 miles of county roads and 13.15 miles of state highways.
Your snowplow drivers would like to remind you of the following:
- Keep a safe distance from the snowplow. Stay back at least 70 feet (four car lengths) from the plow so the driver can see you.
- Don’t assume plow drivers see you. Their field of vision is limited and visibility can be reduced by blowing snow.
- Do not shovel or blow snow into the street. It is against the law.
- Do not allow children to make tunnels in snow piles on the boulevard.
- Trash cans and recycling bins should be placed in your driveway, not in the street where they will interfere with plowing operations.
- It is your responsibility to keep the area in front of the mailbox open to ensure mail delivery. The city attempts to remove snow as close to the curb as possible to allow access to the mailbox by the postal department.
The City of Maplewood has established a goal of plowing all streets within 8 hours after the snow quits falling for a typical 3 inch snowfall. The sidewalk and trail system will be cleared within 48 hours after completion of the street plowing operations. The city has established parking ordinances that when adhered to, result in faster, more thorough service, and provide safer driving conditions. Parking is banned year round on city streets between 2 am and 6 am. Parking for more than 30 minutes during a snowfall and during the plowing of snow is prohibited. Parking on bridge approaches or on boulevards or medians is also prohibited.
For the complete snow plowing policy please go to the Snow & Ice Removal page or call the Public Works Department at 651-249-2400.