Disposal of Buckthorn
Minnesota state statute 115A.931 prohibits disposing of yard waste with your trash or bringing it to disposal facilities other than compost sites. The City of Maplewood bans dumping yard waste on city property. Here are the choices for buckthorn disposal for Maplewood residents:
- If you reside in the annual Maplewood Targeted Neighborhood, look for announcements in the Maplewood City News to register for free curbside pick-up. Pick-up is in early November only.
- If you live outside of the Targeted Neighborhood, check for announcements of buckthorn drop-off areas and dates. Drop-off is in early November only.
- Use on site for staking, fencing or trellises, arts, and crafts.
- Chip and use as mulch around plants, as a trail covering, or compost.
- Some trash haulers will haul brush away for a fee. Call your hauler for more information.
- Call a private brush recycling company. A list of private brush recyclers is provided on the Ramsey County website.
- Bring brush, with stumps removed, to a Ramsey County Compost Brush Site. The closest site to Maplewood is at Frank and Sims, East St. Paul. Proof of county residency is required. For more information, including hours of operation, visit the Ramsey County website or call (651) 266-1155 for a recorded message.
- Create a brush pile for wildlife! Make sure to pile your brush far away from buildings to discourage rodents and avoid fire hazards.
- Use as Firewood. Maplewood restricts recreational fires to three feet in diameter and two feet high. Fires must be at least 20 feet from buildings. Fires must be supervised and may only be burned between 2:00 pm and 11:00 pm. Only dry wood, charcoal, and coal may be burned. Burning leaves, wet materials, and trash is not allowed.
Documents and Resources