Hiring a Contractor
Questions for Contractors
Before hiring a tree service for a job, ask:
- Do you provide written estimates and is there a cost for an estimate?
- Does the estimate include sales tax?
- When would the job begin and end?
- Do you do the brush clean-up?
- Is stump grinding included in the cost of removal?
- Who calls GOPHER ONE (651) 454-0002) to mark underground utilities?
- Will you give me some references from recent costumers?
- Does your company have a certified arborist on staff?
- Do you have commercial liability insurance for tree trimming? This covers personal and property damage. If you ask, a professional company will give you the name of their insurer and policy number for you to check.
It is a good idea to get written estimates, proof of insurance, and references from several companies before hiring a tree service. The estimate should include details on the work you want done, a timeframe for the work to start and end, a price total that includes taxes and discounts, and a procedure and cost if additional work is required.
Documents and Resources